A brief summary of the essentials for using the Flutter-Global GitHub org.
This public content is an excerpt from Flutter staff GitHub docs. It is published as a reference to show how GitHub is used for inner source at Flutter.
- Repositories are in the Flutter-Global GitHub organisation.
- “Capability” means a group of related repositories.
- “Codebase Governor” is a tool that defines capabilities, branch protection and repository access in files in the org-config repository.
- Make sure you have added your work email address to your GitHub email settings.
- Default GitHub notification settings don’t suit Flutter-Global: in your notification settings turn off “automatically watch repositories.”
Find Repository or People
- Use the site search in the top bar with the repository or person name.
- Browse via the service catalogue or Flutter-Global GitHub UI.
- Use direct URLs:
- The “community” section in the repository catalogue page lists maintainers and contributors with contact details if available.
Using a Repository
- When you join you get access to all repoistories with inner source access.
- If GitHub repo URL gives you a 404, it’s closed source and you need to request access from maintainers.
CONTRIBUTING.mdfiles should get you started.
- The repository capability (if exists) may also have some docs to help.
- If you are unfamiliar with GitHub, the courses on GitHub Skills help.
- GitHub is so widely used if you get stuck a web search usually provides the answer.
- If still stuck ask listed maintainers or use general support.
Manage a Repository
- You can create a repo via GitHub UI (name convention is lower case name with dashes).
- You can only create
Publicisn’t for this org. You must decide and configure who can access your repo.
- You can manage your own teams, or use teams managed for you like
- To manage many repos, learn and use Codebase Governor. You can add existing repos to a capability so you don’t need to immediately start this way.
- You are responsible for the security of your repository. PII or sensitive credentials should never be in it.
- A secure repository has a secure branching model. You must decide how to configure this.
Good luck! If in doubt, please ask.